What is Certified Humane?
Our Nellie’s Free Range Eggs are Certified Humane® Raised and Handled. In fact, we were the first egg farm in the country to earn this respected seal on our cartons.
The Certified Humane label means that all our farms meet the strict requirements of the Humane Farm Animal Care Program, the world-recognized leader in animal welfare certification. It’s your guarantee that our hens always have what they need to thrive—not just to stay alive! Such as:
- No cages, anywhere.
- Ample space and shelter, in clean, well ventilated barns.
- Gentle handling to limit stress.
- Freedom to do what comes naturally, like roosting, scratching, and dust bathing.
- Ready access to the outdoors and grass when the season and safety permit (which is to say, most of the time)
- Nutritious, high-quality feed free of antibiotics or hormones.
- Fresh, pure water whenever they want it.
No weasel words. Don’t be fooled by generic terms you might find on other egg cartons, like “humanely raised,” or “humane,” which have no regulations to back them up. And yes, sadly, even “cage-free” doesn’t always mean what it should since some less scrupulous brands cut corners, meeting only the barest technical definition of the term. Some eggs labeled cage-free actually came from hens in cages.
So if you want to know for sure that your eggs come from farmers that truly care for their hens, look for the Certified Humane seal on your eggs.
To learn more about the Certified Humane Program, check out certifiedhumane.org.