Angel Food Cake
Submitted by Chris
12 Nellie’s Free Range egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until foamy.
2. Add granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. (Rub just a bit of meringue between thumb and forefinger to feel if sugar is dissolved.)
3. Beat in vanilla.
4. Sift together flour, confectioners sugar and salt twice.
5. Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over egg whites and gently fold just until flour disappears.
6. Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
7. Pour into ungreased 10 x 4-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula.
8. Bake in preheated 375° F oven until top springs back when touched lightly with finger, 30 to 40 minutes.
9. Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle neck.
10. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
11. With narrow spatula or knife, loosen cake from pan. Gently shake onto serving plate.
12. Top with fruit or frost.