Feijão Tropeiro (Brazilian Hash Scramble)
The affordable and readily available ingredients in this recipe make it easy to prepare on the go, and it’s a huge hit with with kids and adults alike! Our thanks to Brothers Green for sharing this recipe with us.
4 to 5 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for cooking
4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced and divided
1 bunch collard greens, thinly chopped after stems removed (or substitute kale)
1 large white onion, sliced thinly
1 pound chicken sausages, sliced into thin rounds (optional)
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
1 handful each parsley and green onions for garnish, chopped finely
2-4 cups cooked white rice
- Whisk the eggs, adding desired amount of salt and pepper. Cook in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat, stirring lightly and constantly, until scrambled.
- In a pan over medium high heat, add in a few splashes of oil and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Stir frequently until garlic starts to change color. Add collard greens and additional salt and pepper, then sauté with garlic until greens have cooked down. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add oil and onions, then sauté until onions are translucent. Add in the chicken sausage, if using, and stir-fry the mixture. After a few more minutes, add in the remaining 1 to 2 cloves minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add beans and bay leaves to the pan and mix around for a minute, then add the eggs and collard mixture and gently stir to combine. If needed, season with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove scramble from pan, top with your favorite herb garnish, and serve over rice.
Sign up for amazing recipes, special offers, and $1.50 OFF your next purchase!