Mexican Breakfast Salad
This breakfast salad is here to help you enjoy your favorite Mexican flavors in every meal! Fresh lime and tangy tomatoes will wake you right up, while eggs and sweet potato give you enough energy to stay full until lunch. It’s easy to keep this salad simple, but just as fun to go all out with homemade guacamole and crumbled cotija cheese – who doesn’t love toppings? Our thanks to Peas and Crayons for this recipe.
For the salad:
1 large sweet potato
2-3 teaspoons oil or butter
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups kale, chopped
2-4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the pico de gallo:
1/2 cup tomato, diced
2-4 tablespoons red onion, diced
2-4 tablespoons jalapeño pepper, finely diced
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Pinch of salt
Optional toppings and extras:
Everything bagel seasoning
Green onions or chives, chopped
Feta or cotija cheese, crumbled
To make the salad:
- Peel and dice sweet potato into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil or butter to the pan. Once hot, sauté sweet potato cubes until golden and tender, stirring every few minutes for even browning. This will take approximately 15 minutes depending on size. Lastly, season with chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, massage the chopped kale with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. If using another green such as spinach or arugula in place of the kale, simply dress with olive oil and set aside.
- Before serving the salad, cook eggs using preferred method – fried, hard-boiled, scrambled, or poached are all tasty options!
To make the pico de gallo:
- Combine tomato, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
To finish the salad:
- Top salad with eggs and pico de gallo, along with any of your favorite extras. Jenn of Peas and Crayons likes to serve it up with a side of avocado toast and a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning, green onion, salt, and pepper on her eggs.
Sign up for amazing recipes, special offers, and $1.50 OFF your next purchase!