Strawberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Whether you’re in need of something sweet for a summer BBQ or searching for a homemade dessert to pack in your kiddo’s lunchbox, these oatmeal cookie bars are sure to impress! They’re easy to make ahead of time, yet simple enough to make as a spur of the moment treat. One bite and you’ll be dreaming of strawberry picking and summertime fun. Our thanks to Yummy Toddler Food for this recipe.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup natural strawberry preserves
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a square 8-inch metal baking pan with a piece of parchment paper so it comes up and over two sides by about an inch (you’ll use it to lift the finished bars out of the pan). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the eggs, butter, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Use clean hands or a fork to gently mix the dough together until it’s uniform and crumbly. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture.
- Add the remaining mixture to the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing evenly to cover the bottom and to fill in any holes. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and evenly spread the preserves over top. Crumble the remaining dough mixture over top to cover evenly and press it down slightly. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack until room temperature. Use the parchment paper to remove from the pan and slice into bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Sign up for amazing recipes, special offers, and $1.50 OFF your next purchase!